Do proxy ports HAVE to be typed?

General discussions about MagicDraw

Moderator: Moderators

Do proxy ports HAVE to be typed?

Postby cvanhoeven » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi,
Just wondering if proxy ports have to be typed? I have 2 proxy ports with a connector in between. I put an interface block as an ItemFlow on the connector but did not type the proxy ports. I did not get an error. So, this brings up the question of whether proxy ports have to be typed? What will happen if I leave the proxy ports untyped?

Thanks,
Christine
cvanhoeven
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:1

Re: Do proxy ports HAVE to be typed?

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 am

Hello, Christine,

The short answer: having proxy ports without types is not an error. However, it depends on your modeling method. Usually, the ports are typed with Interface Block. This gives an additional information on what Flow Properties can flow through that interface and in what direction. It allows users to track if the interfaces are compatible. You could learn more about this in our documentation site: https://docs.nomagic.com/display/SYSMLP ... sing+ports

Also, adding Interface Block on a connector (as Conveyed Information) is not semantically correct in SysML language.

Best regards,
Donatas Mazeika
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Postby cvanhoeven » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am

Thank you for answering so quickly. If using an interface block as an ItemFlow on the connector is not semantically correct, what should be used instead?

Thank you,
Christine
cvanhoeven
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:1

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am

Christine,

On the connector, you are representing item flow (in other words: what flows through the connector). Usually, it is a block (e.g. gas, water) or a signal (e.g. status).

Best regards,
Donatas Mazeika
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Postby Learning-to-model » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 pm

If I wanted to provide physical data about the connector...how would I do that.? i.e. Fiber vs Copper...also if I wanted to add a cable number or lenght to it. What is the best way to add that type of detail?

thanks
Learning-to-model
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 am

Hello,

You can extend SysML language (e.g. adding additional properties for the connector) by creating a new stereotype with tag definitions. Here is a short instruction on how to do this: https://docs.nomagic.com/display/MD190/ ... tomization

Best regards,
Donatas Mazeika
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Return to MagicDraw