How do I create a new SysML Stereotype?

Discussions about systems engineering product SysML functionalities

Moderator: Moderators

How do I create a new SysML Stereotype?

Postby gvalentine3@gatech.edu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:56 pm

I want to create a new Requirements stereotype and can't seem to find a way to do it. Basically, I want to create a <<RegulatoryRequirement>> stereotype that extends the existing <<requirement>> stereotype. I've looked through the User Manual for version 18.0 and there are hints, but I can't put it all together. Would someone give me the steps to do this? Thanks.
gvalentine3@gatech.edu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:2
Full name: GValentine

Re: How do I create a new SysML Stereotype?

Postby darius.petrauskas@nomagic.com » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:51 am

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

To achieve this, you could follow these steps:

1. Create a Profile Element in the Containment Tree.
2. Create a UML Profile Diagram inside this Element (SysML uses UML profiling mechanism).
3. Add the Requirement Stereotype to the diagram.
4. Create your RegulatoryRequirement Stereotype.
5. Extend Requirement by using Generalization.
6. Now customize your RegulatoryRequirement stereotype by adding custom Tag Definitions, etc.
CustomRequirement.PNG

For customization, there is also a manual explaining these concepts: MagicDraw UMLProfiling&DSL UserGuide
You can find it in the 'manual' directory inside your MagicDraw installation folder or access it via MagicDraw's Help menu under Other Documentation.

If you have any other questions or encounter any more problems, feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Kind regards,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darius.petrauskas@nomagic.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:7
Full name: Darius Petrauskas

Postby gvalentine3@gatech.edu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks.

I don't see the Requirements Stereotype in the Containment tree. I've checked the filter to show auxiliary resources and I can only find the Requirements, "Customization." Which module is the stereotype in?
gvalentine3@gatech.edu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby darius.petrauskas@nomagic.com » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:55 am

Just create the Stereotype in the Profile Diagram. Begin typing its name and you will be able to see the suggestions.
StereotypeCreate.PNG

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darius.petrauskas@nomagic.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:7
Full name: Darius Petrauskas

Postby gvalentine3@gatech.edu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:06 pm

I tried that and "requirement" doesn't appear in the list.

I was able to create the Profile element and a Profile Diagram. When I drag the "Stereotype" element onto the diagram, the "Select Metaclass" dialog appears but there are no requirements stereotypes in the list - when I type, "Requirement" in the entry box I get, "0 matches found"

FYI, I am using the academic version of MagicDraw 18.0.
gvalentine3@gatech.edu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby gvalentine3@gatech.edu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:18 pm

I figured it out. The missing step was to select, 'Element" as the Metaclass and *then* to start typing the name. After that I was able to complete the rest of the steps. Thanks!
gvalentine3@gatech.edu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:22 am

I had the same problem at creating my own stereotype and I figured out that I had to create a SysML project and then I could follow the steps to create my own stereotype to specialize the predefined SysML stereotype, such as Requirement. If the project type would be UML project, nothing would pop up when typing something at the stereotype element.
Kenny
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0
Full name: Kenny

Postby mittalmudit@johndeere.com » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:59 am

Hi,
I similarly created stereotypes for blocks. But I'm unable to to apply these stereotypes to any of the blocks in project. Only when I remove the existing 'block' stereotype I'm able to find these defined stereotypes.
mittalmudit@johndeere.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby ieva.n » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 am

Hello,

As your stereotype is inherited from main Block stereotype, is quite logical that child stereotype is not offered for application (because a more global stereotype is already applied). However, if you want to workaround this situation, simply create a customization for your stereotype, and in value "Quick Apply For" add "Block". That would allow to apply your specific stereotype quickly from block context menu. Please remember, that settings from customizations works only after project save/reload.

Sincerely,
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:29
Full name: Ieva

Postby mittalmudit@johndeere.com » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi,
I'm facing the same issue even with the Requirement Stereotype example you had shared earlier in this thread. The stereotype appears just once when created, however when the tool is restarted, it is unavailable.
thanks,
Mudit
mittalmudit@johndeere.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Next

Return to SysML