Merging Branch and Used Projects

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

Merging Branch and Used Projects

Postby thomas.b.davis@lmco.com » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 pm

I'm working on a team where we have split our model into a number of different projects, which are all "used" by a single main project. When I create a branch for the main project, it lets me automatically create branches for all used projects, which is nice. When I go to merge the branch for the main project back into the Trunk, the merge tool shows me any changes that have occurred for any of the used projects. My issues comes when I complete the merge. Instead of also merging the branches for each of my used projects back into their respective Trunks, it instead just creates a new version on each of the branches, and updates my main project to point to the branch versions for each of the used projects.

Is there a way to have it automatically merge the branches of each of the used projects back in at this point, and have the Main Project point to the new versions on the Trunk?
thomas.b.davis@lmco.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:2

Re: Merging Branch and Used Projects

Postby manskr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Hello,

If you want to merge branched used projects back into their respective
trunks then you need to include them into project merge process. Expand
"Advanced" area in the dialog where you choose which projects to merge
and select used projects which need to be merged.

You can read more about this at https://docs.nomagic.com/display/MD185/Starting+Model+Merge step 6.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
manskr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Postby thomas.b.davis@lmco.com » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Thankyou! Just as a note for anyone else who happens to be in this situation, the important thing to note on the linked page is that your Used Projects are given read-write accessibility. Without this you won't see the "Used Projects to include" option
thomas.b.davis@lmco.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby 543SysML » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:57 am

Thankyou! Just as a note for anyone else who happens to be in this situation, the important thing to note on the linked page is that your Used Projects are given read-write accessibility. Without this you won't see the "Used Projects to include" option

How does one change the Accessibilty optionn to "Read-Write", it is grayed out for me and I cannot seem to modifiy it? Even when I lock the project and attempt to modfy the used project.
543SysML
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Postby thomas.b.davis@lmco.com » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:20 pm

I just used the display where it shows the used projects and accessibility options (i.e. read, read-write etc.). There is a "lock" option from that screen that allowed me to change not only the version of the used project, but also whether it was read, read-write etc. Apologies I don't have access to MagicDraw at the moment otherwise I would post screenshots.
thomas.b.davis@lmco.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby 543SysML » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:08 am

Thank you for the response. I am familIar with the GUI page you referred to, however when I lock my project for editing the accessibility options are still grayed out. It does let me select the versions number etc.
Perhaps someone at No Magic can shed some light on this. I will try to post some screen shots as well.
543SysML
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration