Modeling Information Flow

Discussions about systems engineering product SysML functionalities

Moderator: Moderators

Modeling Information Flow

Postby Stern » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding methodology- this is not a technical question. If it is not appropriate I apologize!

When generating a model for something such as an electronic device, where sub components may send many signals to each other, what is the proper way to capture the flow of information/signals?

In a scenario where a subcomponent outputs up to 6 different signals, and there are multiple subcomponents, generating ports and typing them with a flow specification gets to be cumbersome and messy. Is this the only correct way? Would it also be correct to instead create signal properties, and use the 'Conveyed Information' capability to show flow of all 6 as a list?

Again, please ignore if this is outside the scope of what you guys are here to help with!

Thank you!
Stern
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Modeling Information Flow

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 am

Hello,

Currently, Cameo Systems Modeler (or MagicDraw + SysML plugin) supports SysML 1.4 specification (and SysML 1.5 in the upcoming 19.0 version). There are rules/constraints how to define interfaces and connections between them in order to have a correct model (simulatable, without validation errors, working ICD tables etc.). I'd recommend you to look at the "SysML 1.3 Interfaces Modeling" sample (which is bundled with the product and available under SysML Samples group). It provides guidelines for the interface modeling with SysML. Also, you could take a look at our documentation: https://docs.nomagic.com/display/SYSMLP ... sing+ports

Talking about other methods: yes it may be applied another method, however, it depends on many factors, e.g. what is abstraction level of your system, do you want to simulate your model. Your mentioned way of using the 'Conveyed Information' capability may be possible too but, currently, it's not supported (or is not convenient) out of the box. If you would like to use custom methodology, I would recommend you to contact our custom services: https://www.nomagic.com/services/professional-services

Also, one remark, since the SysML 1.3 version, Flow Specification is deprecated, instead, Interface Block should be used.

Have a nice day,
Donatas Mazeika
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Return to SysML