Numbering in OV-5b and OV-5a ?

Discussions about UPDM functionalities

Moderators: lintut, Moderators

Numbering in OV-5b and OV-5a ?

Postby beckyhoke@gmail.com » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi No Magic,

I am fairly new to Magicdraw, currently taking training in SysML and learning UPDM as we go. I am currently working on OV-5b and OV-5a diagrams.

I have two different numbering questions:

1. I am looking for possible ways to number the Operational Activities for both the OV-5b and OV-5a to reflect the decomposed sub-processes and make it easier to reference activities when presenting the activity diagram. I was thinking of something similar to this type of numbering:
o 1.0 Process
• 1.1 Sub-Process
• 1.1.1 Sub-sub Process
• 1.1.2 Sub-sub process
• 1.2 Sub Process
• 1.2.1 Sub-sub Process
• 1.2.2 Sub-sub process.
o 2.0 Process
• 2.1 Sub-Process

1a. Is there a way to associate a number with the processes so that if the numbers are edited or an extra step is added the numbers will auto-correct to the correct order? Example: Let’s say I want to add another step between 1.1 and 1.2? Is it possible to set it up so that after the edit the numbers in would auto correct?

1b. If question #1a is not possible, it seems like one work around would be to manually type a number in front of an element title. Is there any other work around that you know of, perhaps using another data field like “identifier” where we could manually enter the number?

2. Is it possible to auto-generate numbered elements as they are corrected? For example: Auto-numbering the operational activity edges? If so, could you point me in the right direction in how to do this?

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Becky
beckyhoke@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Numbering in OV-5b and OV-5a ?

Postby Airenas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:22 am

Hi Becky,

Thank you for contacting us!

Regarding Question 1a: if you prepare the numbering schema for activities and if you will insert a new activity then the number will be assigned automatically. You can change the number of the activity by using the Element Numbering dialog. See documentation for the dialog: https://docs.nomagic.com/display/MD185/ ... ing+dialog.

Could you comment more on the question 2? What do you mean by saying "numbered elements as they are corrected"?

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Airenas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:4

Postby beckyhoke@gmail.com » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you so much for your answer, this is so helpful! Disregard my 2nd question, because I think you answered it for me. I do have a follow up question:

Your example shows numbering for the Operational activities for an OV-5a. With your directions I successfully created numbered Operational Activities for an OV-5a. I also wanted to create an OV-5b with the same identical numbered Opertional activities. When I drag an Operational activity onto an OV-5b it turns into an "operational activity action." I figured out that I can separately apply the auto numbering to the Operational activity Actions. However, I want to have the same number associated for both the Operational activity and the operational activity action. (For example: Operational Activity Labeled 1.5 on the OV-5a would be Operational Activity Action 1.5 labeled on the OV-5b.) Is there anyway to ensure the number labels are the same?

Thanks for the help!
beckyhoke@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby beckyhoke@gmail.com » Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 am

I think I might not have explained my question well above, so I am going to rephrase it here:

Is it possible to have the same numbering scheme for operational activities in an OV-5a that are also in the OV-5b as a Operational activity action?

For example:
OV-5a: Showing Operational Activities:
o 1.0 Process
• 1.1 Sub-Process
• 1.1.1 Sub-sub Process
• 1.2 Sub Process
• 1.2.1 Sub-sub Process
o 2.0 Process
• 2.1 Sub-Process

This would be the same numbers as....

OV-5b: Showing Operational Activity Actions:
o 1.0 Process
• 1.1 Sub-Process
• 1.1.1 Sub-sub Process
• 1.2 Sub Process
• 1.2.1 Sub-sub Process
o 2.0 Process
• 2.1 Sub-Process

Thanks so much for the help and advice!!!

Becky
beckyhoke@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to UPDM