Operational/Information Exchange Questions

Discussions about UPDM functionalities

Moderators: lintut, Moderators

Operational/Information Exchange Questions

Postby beckyhoke@gmail.com » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 am

Hi There,

I am fairly new to magicdraw. Currently training for SysML. Also trying to learn MagicDraw/DoDAF/UPDM as we go. I am currently working on a project creating an OV-5b and OV-3. I’ve come across a few UPDM MagicDraw questions that I haven’t been able to figure out with google search:

1. On the Manage Operational Exchanges wizard. There seems to be two different ways to show multiple IEs going through an Operational activity edge. One way is to use two different OEs (true) on separate lines (each with only one IE associated with one OE). The other way seems to select one OE where there are two IEs associated within one line. Is there a difference in the logic of these two different ways to show multiple IEs? Is one way more preferred than the other? We noticed that when we created the OV-3 excel chart that it would organize by OEs. The OV-3 chart seem to have some inconsistency with some OEs only having one IE, some have multiple IEs, and some OEs that are blank (I’m assuming these are unused). Any thoughts on this?

2. Is it possible to align the Carried Item Label for an Operational Activity Edge to the: (Left/Right/Middle (Current)/or even vertical)?

3. Is it possible to hide the Information exchange Id (example: IE36) from the carried item label for an operational activity edge?

Thanks for all of your help and advice!
Becky
beckyhoke@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Operational/Information Exchange Questions

Postby neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:45 am

Dear Becky,

Thank you for the questions.
1.You are right about the Manage Operational Exchanges wizard: there exist two ways of displaying multiple IEs going through an Operational activity edge on the diagram. There is no more or less preferred way for displaying them. It depends on your model logic and the types of the Operational Activity edges. When Activity Edge has a pin, it can have only one conveyed item. If it has control flow, there isn't any difference for displaying the IEs.
Could you explain the case with inconsistency? Could you attach the sample project or the screenshots of the inconsistent behavior?

2. No, we don't have such a possibility. We are considering implementing it in our future tool.

3. The Information Exchange ID can be hidden by using Symbol Properties dialog: there exists "Show ID of Conveyed Item" property in the property list, but unfortunately this property doesn't work properly in UPDM and it will fixed into 19.0 version.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Best regards,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Postby beckyhoke@gmail.com » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 am

Hi No Magic,

Thank you very much for your response, this has all been very helpful!

Following up with Questions #1: After further consideration, I think that there are no inconsistencies. It just seems that some of the OEs are being used in my diagram and some of the OEs were created but after several rounds of editing are not being used anymore. I suppose I need to QA/QC my list of Operational exchanges and delete the OEs that will never be used.

Best regards,
Becky
beckyhoke@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Dear Becky,

Thank you for your information and comments. We are glad to know that our answers were helpful and hope your practice with our tool will be successful.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Postby beckyhoke@gmail.com » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks again for your help! Based on this question, I did submit another question on how to number elements.

numbering-in-ov-5b-and-ov-5a-t5757.html
beckyhoke@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to UPDM