Passing Arrays in Acitivity Diagram

Moderator: Moderators

Passing Arrays in Acitivity Diagram

Postby nnorwood@mitre.org » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:40 pm

I would like to execute an activity diagram where one opaque behavior sends another an array. I am running into an issue where I cannot access the contents of the array in the receiving opaque behavior. Is sending an array between opaque behavior actions possible with the cameo simulation toolkit? I have attached a simple test case where I try to pass an array generated in one opaque behavior to another that tries to print it out. I would appreciate any help to make this possible.

Thank you,
Nathan

I am using Cameo EA 18.4 and the Cameo Simulation Toolkit plugin 18.4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nnorwood@mitre.org
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:2

Re: Passing Arrays in Acitivity Diagram

Postby chanon_s » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:35 am

Dear Customer

It is not possible to send an array between actions. However, you could send a list of values, such as, reals or integers. Please see the attachment for the modified sample project.

TestPassingArrays_Modified.mdzip

Sincerely

Chanon S.
No Magic Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chanon_s
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:7

Postby nnorwood@mitre.org » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you very much! However I am noticing some unintended consequences if I introduce a fork into the activity. The actions are no longer waiting for all of the input pins to execute and are just executing with null values. I have attached the model I revised with the fork. Is this the way the simulation is supposed to work when input pins have a multiplicity of many (*)? Is there some synchronization option I should be selecting?

Thank you again,
Nathan
nnorwood@mitre.org
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby nnorwood@mitre.org » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:18 am

I have found a work around, it is not ideal but I can convert an array to a string and pass the string between actions. Then parse the string back to an array in order to perform the necessary operations. Please let me know if there is a better solution.

Thank you,
Nathan
nnorwood@mitre.org
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby chanon_s » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Dear Customer

If you use a fork, it will simulate in different threads asynchronously (2 threads in your case: one for generateCapacityArray and the other one for generateDemandArray). Please try to change the multiplicity of all related pins to 1..* instead. Then the simulation will wait for the required values from each input pin.

Sincerely

Chanon S.
No Magic Customer Support
chanon_s
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:7

Postby Nerijus Jankevicius » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Nathan,

* multiplicity works the same as if the lower range is 0, so action starts without receiving tokens in that input pin.
You can fix that by using 1..* multiplicities and also removing unnecessary fork.

see modified model attached.
Nerijus Jankevicius
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:1

Postby nnorwood@mitre.org » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks! This will work for me! The fork was unnecessary in this test model but is necessary in the actual model I am developing. I pin pointed my synchronization problem to be caused by a fork and wanted to make sure that I could use the list passing solution when there were forks present in the model.

Thanks again,
Nathan
nnorwood@mitre.org
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Return to Cameo Simulation Toolkits