Support for long branch

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

Support for long branch

Postby andreas.schoenberger@siemens.com » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi all,

I want to do a long branch of a teamwork server model and merge changes in the trunk to the branch from time to time (every few days).
In the branch I remove / add some model packages and elements and I do also change elements and associations.
So, some later-on changes in the trunk need to be merged into the branch later on and some others do not.

I have tested that with an existing model and MagicDraw in version 18.0 and struggle with the usability of the merge tool.
The three-way-compare helps me in identifying what I have deliberately removed in the branch and what is really new in the trunk.
But, that only helps for the first merge.
In subsequent merges I only want to analyze changes in the trunk since the last merge. Otherwise, I have to reassess changes in the trunk with every subsequent merge.
So, _while merging from trunk to branch_, how can I only look at the changes in the trunk done since the last merge?
Alternatively, it also would be sufficient to only look at the changes in the trunk done after a particular model version that I can tag and select.

Example:
1) I have trunk in version 100
2) I do a branch on that B-100.0
2.1) I do changes in the branch until B-100.5
3) I do changes in trunk until version 110
4) I do merge trunk version 110 into B-100.5, resulting in B-100.6
5) I do changes in the branch until B-100.10
6) I do changes in trunk until version 120
7) I do a merge of trunk version 120 into B-100.10

In step 7) I only want to see changes in trunk between 110 and 120.
What is the best way to do that?

Besides that, when I do a three-way-merge, I only want to go through the changes done in the trunk and completely hide the changes in the branch.
This kind of filtering seemingly is not available.
How can I hide changes in the branch?

Best Regards
Andreas
andreas.schoenberger@siemens.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Support for long branch

Postby ieva.n » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 am

Hello,

At the moment we do not have support for such way of merging. The most I could offer is understanding that equivalent changes are that were merged before and are the same in the branch and trunk. Also you can choose the scope to accept/reject changes to only the trunk or branch changes.
We apologize for the inconveniences.

No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:28
Full name: Ieva

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration