Merging projects from 2 stand alone networks

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

Merging projects from 2 stand alone networks

Postby blev » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello,
I have an IT situation where I have Magic Draw 17.0 on 2 separate stand alone networks, where concurrent work is going on in the same project (same folder structure, modules, etc). I need to take the work being done in Magic Draw on network A and move it to network B while maintaing the work that has been done in each separate project. I was trying to do a File->Save Project As... on network A and move the .mdzip file to network B. When I do this, it seems to be duplicating the project data in the test project on network B (2 folders of everything that is in the project data, eg 2 actors folders, 2 use case folders where there used to only be one in each project) rather than merging it and allowing me to resolve the conflicts to determine which data I want to move forward with. Is there a better way to combine the data from the 2 stand alone networks? I would ideally like to sync the data between the 2 networks once a week, but there is no way to have direct connectivity between the two.

Thank you
blev
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Re: Merging projects from 2 stand alone networks

Postby ieva.n » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:36 am

Hello,

Thank you for your question.
We could help you better if you could clarify some details for us. Can you tell if you are working on teamwork server projects, or on locally saved projects? Do you have a previous version of project, which is common for the projects on both networks?
MagicDraw does not offer projects merge during copy/paste project files. However MagicDraw offers possibility to merge models through application. To Merge locally saved projects please use command Tools > Project Merge. Basically, if you are sure that there are no conflicting changes (e.g. in same element property or same module), you can use 2-way merge - then changes from both projects will be accepted and merged into one project. If you have conflicting changes and have a common ancestor project both projects split from, it is advised to use 3-way merge and resolve conflicts manually.
To read more details about Model Merge, please look in MagicDraw User Manual (you can find it in your MagicDraw <install.root>/manuals or open using Help > MagicDraw User Manual command), under section Model Merge.
If you have more questions about merging your projects, please do not hesitate to contact us with additional details.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
No Magic Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:17
Full name: Ieva

Postby philip.nelson@gd-ms.com » Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 am

The merge plugin works well for locally saved projects, but what about the following scenario?
Company A owns a master model and resides on a Teamwork Server. However Company A relies on Company B to provide inputs into a package of the model.
Company B maintains their piece of the model on a Cameo Enterprise Data Warehouse server. It comes time to provide an update to Company A's model so Company B will download a local copy of the CEDW server project thus breaking from CEDW server configuration management.
Company A receives Company B's model. Considering this is an update to previously provided package from Company B,
How does Company A merge in the updates from the local project (Company B's update) into their master model residing on Teamwork Server? Merging on the server only allows for merging between versions....
philip.nelson@gd-ms.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Postby ieva.n » Mon May 16, 2016 7:47 am

Hello,

You can still use Tools > Project Merge functionality for that. Open the Teamwork Project you want to merge the project into, then invoke Tools > Project Merge from main menu.

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

Waiting for your response,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:17
Full name: Ieva

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration