FlexNet licenses in use

Discussions about Java virtual machine, installation, and running

Moderator: Moderators

FlexNet licenses in use

Postby karen.shollenberger@jhuapl.edu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 pm

We have 3 floating licenses. Earlier today, Magic Draw crashed and after I reopened the file, our admin page shows that I'm using 2 licenses. Even when I restarted my computer, it still shows that I was using one when I don't have MD open. How do I get it to realize I'm not using that license?

Thank you!!
karen.shollenberger@jhuapl.edu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: FlexNet licenses in use

Postby reggre » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:26 am

Hello,

When a user moves between two subnets (for example, between two WiFi networks) and the user's PC gets different IP addresses, the Floating License connection is lost. Then, when users re-connect to the Floating License Server they get a second Floating License. This results in two licenses being checked out, but only one is actually in use and the other license is inactive.

By default, the inactive license stays checked out for approximately 2 hours. You can return the inactive license manually, or you can configure the server to return the license after 15 min.

There are several methods how to release a hanging license to the pool:

1.There is a way to configure the license manager to automatically reclaim inactive licenses by creating the options file with specified TIMEOUT feature. Default TIMEOUT feature has a minimum license release time of 900 seconds, which means your license will not be checked back into the pool before 15 minutes of inactivity has elapsed. License Administration Guide with the instructions how to create an options file is available at http://www.nomagic.com/files/manuals/fn ... 1_12_1.pdf
2.Restart the license server itself. First stop the server from the Administration section of the license server management interface. Follow the link http://:8080 to connect to licenses server interface. Please note that stopping server shut downs and all vendor daemons. Active users will be notified and reconnect to license server would be needed. Start license server manually. On Windows platforms, open the installation directory in Windows Explorer and then double-click the lmadmin.exe file. Or run the lmadmin command with your desired command-line arguments on Unix platforms.
3.In order to release a hung license to the pool of free licenses please use lmremove command-line argument. Note that lmadmin's default setting disables the operation of lmremove, to enable it start lmadmin with the - allowLicenseReclaim argument. License Administration Guide with the instructions how to combine command line arguments is available at http://www.nomagic.com/files/manuals/fn ... 1_12_1.pdf

The first we recommend try the third way and see if this issue still exists.

Other ways for releasing borrow license when you use the offline mode:

1. Remove the borrowed license files (on the user computer) from: C:\Users\All Users\FNP\FLEXlm and C:\ProgramData\FNP\FLEXlm (if such files exist).
2. Also clean the registry with lines borrow-xxxx-MagicDraw, borrow-yyyy-MagicDraw from: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FLEXlm License Manager\Borrow

Please inform us about your status.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
No Magic Customer Support
reggre
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:5

Re: FlexNet licenses in use

Postby alangcreech@yahoo.com » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:18 pm

Contact the customer care to get help on this.
alangcreech@yahoo.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Return to Installing and running