"Offline" projects are confusing

Discussions about Java virtual machine, installation, and running

Moderator: Moderators

"Offline" projects are confusing

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:02 am

I have two questions related to the new "offline" project feature in MD v18.4:

1) "Save Project As" allows you to specify a file name and location if you elect to "remove locking and versioning information." However, if you just want to save locally and still be able to commit to server later, you are not given a choice as to where to save the file. Where does MD save this local copy? I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive. Documentation says default location for Windows is "My Documents", but files do not show up there.

2) Why does MD always indicate my project is "Offline" even when I open up a file directly from the server? It seems like if you have ever saved a project locally (offline project), it always opens the offline version no matter what. Then it tells you (if someone else had since committed an update) that an updated version is available on the server, instead of just opening the most recent version by default. Can you explain the process flow for using offline projects, and how my local version stays consistent with the server version? How would I get it to stop indicating I am using an "offline" project? It tells me that even if I select the server (on-line) version.

Thank you.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:2

Re: "Offline" projects are confusing

Postby jusbis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 am

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. This "Offline" functionality with Teamwork Cloud was really confusing in v18.4 so we have updated it in v18.5.
Since MagicDraw has local repository working with TeamworkCloud, all offline projects are stored in this local repo. By default local repository is located at <magicDraw.home>\restricted\ directory (<MagicDraw.home> can be accessed via Help->About->Environment menu).
In the v18.5 we have adjusted "Save Project As" functionality, so it only allows to save project as local file (removes server information), but it does not allow to have another offline project copy, as this might lead to data inconsistency.

The "Offline" word in the toolbar actually means "Available Offline": you will be able to open the project and modify without having connection to the server. "Offline" was renamed to "Available Offline" in v18.5, and this text appears once you hit "Save" (Ctrl+S) button. The "save" action makes 2 things:
* Makes opened project "Available Offline". This project becomes available in "Offline Projects" tab and you can open it without a connection.
* Saves all not-yet-committed changes to local repository. This action allows to save intermediate changes really fast.

So When you have project with label "Available Offline", MagicDraw just opens it from local repo and does not update from the server (basically it shows you the same view as you had it last time). Additionally, you will get notifications about changes on the server if you will be connected to the server.
To remove this "offline" label, you need to go to Project Management dialog, select this project in "Offline Projects" tab and click "Remove". This action will remove offline copy of the project and from now on you will not be able to open it without a connection. But if you hit Save button again it will become "offline" again.

Please let us know if you find this answer useful, or you have additional feedback to share.
Best regards,

Justinas Bisikirskas
No Magic Inc.
jusbis
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:6

Re: "Offline" projects are confusing

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:28 am

Yes, I think I understand how this works now. We will post a follow-up question if anything else comes up. Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:2

Return to Installing and running