Sharing/Using Packages in MD 18.4

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

Sharing/Using Packages in MD 18.4

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:58 am

With MD v18.2, I was able to make model content shareable at the package level, which allowed me to only use certain packages from one model in another.

With MD v18.4, I don't see a way to do this. It seems I am forced to use an entire model, even if I only want to use a single package. Is there a way to configure a project usage at the package-level in MD v18.4?

Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:3

Re: Sharing/Using Packages in MD 18.4

Postby ieva.n » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 am

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

It is possible to share only one package in 18.4 as well. Could you please give more details about your case - maybe you already have a parent package shared? What perspective do you use? Do you work on local project, Teamwork Server or Teamwork Cloud Server? What perspective do you use?

To share the package, select it in the browser, click right mouse button on it, choose "Project Usages > Share Package".

Sincerely,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:28
Full name: Ieva

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 am

In v18.2, there was a Share Package option. In 18.4, when right-click and choose Project Usages, the only choice available is "Export Packages to New Server Project..."

This is 18.4, so it is a TWC project. The perspective I use is typically Systems Engineer. Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby ieva.n » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 am

Hello,

18.4 still supports both local projects and Teamwork Server as well, so it was necessary to clarify this part. Teamwork Cloud Server does not support shared packages. Please see more: https://docs.nomagic.com/display/MD184/ ... work+Cloud

Sincerely,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:28
Full name: Ieva

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 am

Did not know that 18.4 could use TWS.

But in any case, we are using TWC.

Will TWC support shared packages in the future? I hope so. It is not practical or desirable to always import an entire model. And there are situations where you may not want someone working on a particular model to see another model in its entirety. I imagine this is why TWS has this capability.

Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby jusbis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi,

I cannot guarantee that we will have identical shared packages in the future, but we will continue analyzing possibilities to introduce a new mechanism for hiding packages in the project.
We believe that this new mechanism will be better, since you may have different configurations in projects when the same library/project is used. Also it will allow supporting different views for different users at the same project.

Will such new mechanism satisfy your needs, or you still prefer having shared packages?
Best regards,

Justinas Bisikirskas
No Magic Inc.
jusbis
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:6

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm

I think I would still like to be able to only share the packages that are needed. That makes the most sense to me and my colleagues. We liked the way this feature worked in TWS. Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration