Interface block in Cameo System Modeler 18.3

Systems engineering related questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Interface block in Cameo System Modeler 18.3

Postby al.robredo@sgt-inc.com » Thu May 04, 2017 10:53 am

Im a transplant from IBM RSA & Rhapsody. Im trying to understand the notation for the Interface block. So I have a block (call it a component block)
-The component block can have flow properties and proxy ports.
--The proxy port can be TYPED by an interface block.
--The interface block can be realized by an Interface.
-- The proxy port can have provided/required interfaces (ball/socket icons).
I am creating a message oriented SOA. Do I need a port for each message transaction? Or do I need a separate flow property?
How does the port/Interface block align with the flow properties in the original component block? Thanks
al.robredo@sgt-inc.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Interface block in Cameo System Modeler 18.3

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 am

Hello,

Yes, you are right, the usage of SysML Proxy ports is as you've described. However, the answer how to model "message oriented SOA" cannot be answered straightforward and it depends on you modeling methodology.

Usually, Proxy Ports is modeled without Required/Provided interfaces and they represent the boundary of a block through which that block can exchange a subset of services and flow properties with external blocks.

If you prefer "ball and socket" notation for your SOA model, then you should create interfaces and define a set of operations and receptions. Answering to your question: "Do I need a port for each message transaction" - you could create several operations or signal receptions in one interface and this interface could be realized by the interface block. This interface then should be set as a type for a proxy port.

If you need more help, just let me know.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Return to Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)