Set branch to be the trunk

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

Set branch to be the trunk

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 am

I merged a branch with the trunk of my model. I set the "target" to be the branch, and the "source" to be the trunk because there were many changes on the branch, but only a few in the trunk.
Now I would like to make the branch be the trunk and continue on in the trunk from there. I do not see an option to do this. Is this possible?
I am using v18.4 with TWC.
Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:3

Re: Set branch to be the trunk

Postby jusbis » Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 am

Hi,

Are you willing to make your branch as the default selection for all users, or you would like to physically rename it to "trunk"?
At the moment it is not possible to make branch be the trunk, but there is one ways to have changes in trunk:
* Merge changes from Branch to trunk, so all changes are now available in Trunk too.
* Remove Branch if you no longer need that fork.

Looking forward for your reply.
Best regards,

Justinas Bisikirskas
No Magic Inc.
jusbis
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:6

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Tue May 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Teamwork Server had an option to select a branch and then you could choose "Set As Latest", which would make the branch be the trunk. I guess that is not possible in TWC? Is that a feature you can add?

I do need the branch. I want the branch to be the main model going forward now that I've merged it with the trunk. I'd rather not continue on in the branch indefinitely.

I thought about merging the trunk and branch as you suggest, but that is what I already did -- I just had the target be the branch instead of trunk for the reason I mentioned. I guess I could do the merge again in the other direction, but that seems like it should not be necessary.

Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 am

I tried your suggestion of performing the merge again, this time with the trunk as the target. However, that did not work. Many changes that were in the branch did not come into the trunk.

Is there some setting I can use to just tell the Merge tool to completely overwrite the trunk with the branch? I want to make a blanket rule that everything in the branch should be written into the trunk.

Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby jusbis » Mon May 15, 2017 5:18 am

Hi,

I tried to reproduced this case on v18,4 Teamwork Cloud and was able to merge changes back from Branch to Trunk so both Branch and Trunk latest versions became identical.
Here is what i did:
* Open latest version from trunk.
* Go to main menu Collaborate -> Merge From
* Pick up the latest version of Branch (this will be a source for merge), click OK
* Merge dialog will be opened. At least for me it automatically have chosen the right resolutions for each change to make Branch and Trunk identical. Basically i clicked "Finish"
* Commit changes to the server. You can also review them before the commit to double check it.

Let us know if you were able to merge changes from Branch to Trunk.
Best regards,

Justinas Bisikirskas
No Magic Inc.
jusbis
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:6

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration