Allocate Subelements of Block

Discussions about systems engineering product SysML functionalities

Moderator: Moderators

Allocate Subelements of Block

Postby itsme » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 am

Hi.

I am trying to allocate functional blocks to hardware ressources modelled in SysML. Now I have a problem that I will try to explain in the following example.

I have a block definition A containing two subelements B and C. Then, I have another block D containing two instances of A, a1 and a2.
I want to allocate each leaf element individually to some hardware component.
Lets assume four hardware ressources (blocks) hw1, hw2, hw3, and hw4.
Allocation: D::a1::B -> hw1 and D::a2::B -> hw2
D::a1::C -> hw3 and D::a2::C -> hw4

How can I do this? I am able to see the entire tree (including the subcomponents of each instance individually) in the Structure Tree in Cameo.
But in the allocation matrix, I am only able to allocate A::B and A::C and not B and C of different instances of A individually.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this in SysML/Cameo?

Copying A and handling a1 and a2 as two separate blocks is not an option for us because this scheme repeats quite often in our system and not only with a multiplicity of two.

Best regards
itsme
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Allocate Subelements of Block

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 am

Hello,

At the current version of MagicDraw, dependency matrices support containment hierarchy only. We are planning to support structure hierarchy (or allow predefining hierarchy rules using expression editor) in the future versions of MagicDraw. However, concrete version is not decided yet.

There's one way how you can allocate deeply nested parts with blocks. You need to show structure compartment for your block and display nested parts. Then you could create allocation relationship between these parts and hardware block. Here is an example of that allocation:
Allocation.png

If you need more help, just let us know.

Have a nice day,
Donatas Mazeika
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Postby ralph.goergen@nxp.com » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:19 am

Thanks for your reply and good to see that there might be a solution in the future.
I tried your workaround but it is not exactly what I need. On one hand, this is possible in the diagram only (or at least I could not figure out how any other way). But in our case the both models, funciton and hardware, are quite large and hierarchical. So having all in one diagram will be hard. On the otehr and and even more crucial, this does not work when I want to allocate the two Cs to different hardware blocks. I can draw the allocation links for each C individually and in the diagram it looks OK. But in the property dialog, both relations appear in each instance of C.

Best regards
ralph.goergen@nxp.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 am

Yes, at this moment the interpretation of the following allocation is available in the diagram only. If you take a look at the allocation tags, you will see that this information is stored here:
Tags.png

As an alternative way, the solution may be to allocate blocks to hardware blocks.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Return to SysML