Oracle Reverse Engineering

Discussions about database modeling product Cameo Data Modeler functionalities

Moderator: Moderators

Oracle Reverse Engineering

Postby Cameo Novice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 am

Hi,

Please excuse the beginner question. I am new to the Cameo Data Molder and am trying to reverse engineer from and Oracle schema. I have connected to my database and have have imported all the Code engineering data so that I have the Oracle types. I have created a top level element with a database and added a schema. I can manually add tables, views and other Oracle specific details, but so far have not managed to import an existing schema with all the tables and views.

I am feeling a little thick. Can anyone please help me with reverse engineering a schema, it must be possible as a number of posts mention doing this.

Yours in hope

Steve
Cameo Novice
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Oracle Reverse Engineering

Postby gedkvi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:42 am

Hello,

The basic reverse straight from a database is as follows:
1. Create a DDL code engineering set (Right click Code Engineering Sets -> New -> DDL -> Oracle)
2. Double click the created Oracle DDL engineering set.
3. Click on Reverse from DB and fill out the data
1.png

I assume that up to this point everything is done already.
...I have connected to my database...

4. Now you only need to right click the created element and select Reverse.
5. Click OK in the following dialogs to use the default reverse settings.

After doing that, you should have all required modules imported to a project and tables reversed.

Please let us know if some of the steps are unclear or you are stuck in.

Also, for more information about Code Engineering and Cameo Data Modeler can be found in <MagicDraw_installation_dir>/manual/MagicDraw CodeEngineering UserGuide.pdf and <MagicDraw_installation_dir>/manual/Cameo Data Modeler Plugin UserGuide.pdf

Sincerely,
No Magic Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gedkvi
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:7

Postby steve.ferry@bmwfin.com » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 am

I tried and it has failed further down the track. When I selected the schema from the pick list it appeared to make a difference. But it took a couple of minutes and then failed with the error message below. The final part went on for some time. I was logged in as the schema owner and it worked for about three minutes before coming back.

Also is there a way of selecting the tables I am interested in. I have picked quite a small schema, but it still has about 40 tables and many other objects.

2017.04.12::14:40:14]
Data reading error: ORA-31603: object "ISEQ$$_10303925" of type SEQUENCE not found in schema "CFBI_DW" ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 6078 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8686 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::14:40:31]
Data reading error: ORA-31608: specified object of type COMMENT not found ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 6078 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8781 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::14:40:36]
Data reading error: ORA-31608: specified object of type COMMENT not found ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 6078 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8781 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::14:40:37]
Encountered " "CELL_FLASH_CACHE "" at line 34, column 43. Was expecting one of: "INITIAL" ... "BUFFER_POOL" ... "PCTINCREASE" ... "MAXEXTENTS" ... "MINEXTENTS" ... "FREELISTS" ... "FREELIST" ... "OPTIMAL" ... "NEXT" ... "MAXSIZE" ... "FLASH_CACHE" ... "ENCRYPT" ... ")" ... "INITIAL" ... "NEXT" ... "MINEXTENTS" ... "PCTINCREASE" ... "FREELISTS" ... "MAXEXTENTS" ... "FREELIST" ... "OPTIMAL" ... "BUFFER_POOL" ... "ENCRYPT" ... "FLASH_CACHE" ... "MAXSIZE" ... ")" ... ")" ... ")" ... ")" ... "INITIAL" ... "NEXT" ... "MINEXTENTS" ... "PCTINCREASE" ... "FREELISTS" ... "MAXEXTENTS" ... "FREELIST" ... "OPTIMAL" ...
steve.ferry@bmwfin.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby gedkvi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:21 am

Is the reversed model completely empty ?

Also is there a way of selecting the tables I am interested in.

Only selection of schema is available. All tables from schema are reversed.
Although, if you could somehow dump only the needed DDL from Oracle database and then reverse it from a file it would be possible.

Data reading error

Could it be that something is being modified while reverse is running ? This is a generic SQLException thrown directly from the database.

Encountered " "CELL_FLASH_CACHE ""

What version of Cameo Data Modeler are you using? In older versions tables having this attribute were reversed, but without the attribute. This has been fixed in 18.2 I believe, and even more improvements were made in 18.4.

Please note that there may still be warnings that something was not reversed.Some statements like ALTER TRIGGER are not supported by CDM.

Sincerely,
gedkvi
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:7

Postby steve.ferry@bmwfin.com » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:12 am

gedkvi wrote:Is the reversed model completely empty ?

Also is there a way of selecting the tables I am interested in.

Only selection of schema is available. All tables from schema are reversed.
Although, if you could somehow dump only the needed DDL from Oracle database and then reverse it from a file it would be possible.

Data reading error

Could it be that something is being modified while reverse is running ? This is a generic SQLException thrown directly from the database.

Encountered " "CELL_FLASH_CACHE ""

What version of Cameo Data Modeler are you using? In older versions tables having this attribute were reversed, but without the attribute. This has been fixed in 18.2 I believe, and even more improvements were made in 18.4.

Please note that there may still be warnings that something was not reversed.Some statements like ALTER TRIGGER are not supported by CDM.

Sincerely,

1. There was nothing going on on the DB. If was a DEV database that I am the only user of.
2. Datamodler is 18.0.1 SP4 it is a corporate install I work for a large company and have no control over this.
3. I have tried this on an Oracle 11g db and I get the error messages below - but still no objects created in my project.

[2017.04.12::17:08:57]
Data reading error: ORA-31603: object "CASH_RECEIVED" of type TABLE not found in schema "ABS_SEAL" ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 5814 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8364 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::17:09:00]
Data reading error: ORA-31603: object "PK_CASH_RECEIVED" of type INDEX not found in schema "ABS_SEAL" ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 5814 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8364 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::17:09:02]
Data reading error: ORA-31603: object "EXPAND_PAYMENTS" of type SYNONYM not found in schema "ABS_SEAL" ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 5814 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8364 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::17:09:03]
Data reading error: ORA-31603: object "PKG_ABS" of type PACKAGE not found in schema "ABS_SEAL" ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 5814 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8364 ORA-06512: at line 1
[2017.04.12::17:09:04]
Data reading error: ORA-31608: specified object of type COMMENT not found ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 5814 ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 8456 ORA-06512: at line 1

I really just want the tables. Is there a schema extract format I can use or do I have to extract the ddl for all the tables I want?

Steve
steve.ferry@bmwfin.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby rasat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:06 am

Dear Steve Ferry,

As the sensitive information might be provided related to your issue, we would like to continue our communication on the private ticket on our online support system at knowledgebase.nomagic.com. We have registered the ticket. You will receive an email with the information and link to support ticket. You can reply to that email and your reply (you may attach files, also) will be added as comment to that ticket.
Or you can login at knowledgebase.nomagic.com with http://www.nomagic.com credentials and view ticket status, add comments or attachments to that ticket directly in our support system.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
rasat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Posts Rating:1

Postby renithharsan@gmail.com » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler offers a full spectrum of data and database modeling tools and utilities, including Entity Relationship modeling, Relational (Schema), Data Types or Object Types modeling, and Multidimensional modeling and DDL generation. It includes importing from and exporting to a variety of sources and targets, provides a variety of formatting options and validates the models through a predefined set of Design Rules.

Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler will be released as an extension to SQL Developer and as a standalone product, for those developers who only want to work with visual data modeling.
more details visit our website: oracle training in bangalore http://www.besanttechnologies.in/oracle-training-in-bangalore.html
renithharsan@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to Cameo Data Modeler