Merging projects from 2 stand alone networks

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

Merging projects from 2 stand alone networks

Postby blev » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello,
I have an IT situation where I have Magic Draw 17.0 on 2 separate stand alone networks, where concurrent work is going on in the same project (same folder structure, modules, etc). I need to take the work being done in Magic Draw on network A and move it to network B while maintaing the work that has been done in each separate project. I was trying to do a File->Save Project As... on network A and move the .mdzip file to network B. When I do this, it seems to be duplicating the project data in the test project on network B (2 folders of everything that is in the project data, eg 2 actors folders, 2 use case folders where there used to only be one in each project) rather than merging it and allowing me to resolve the conflicts to determine which data I want to move forward with. Is there a better way to combine the data from the 2 stand alone networks? I would ideally like to sync the data between the 2 networks once a week, but there is no way to have direct connectivity between the two.

Thank you
blev
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Re: Merging projects from 2 stand alone networks

Postby ieva.n » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:36 am

Hello,

Thank you for your question.
We could help you better if you could clarify some details for us. Can you tell if you are working on teamwork server projects, or on locally saved projects? Do you have a previous version of project, which is common for the projects on both networks?
MagicDraw does not offer projects merge during copy/paste project files. However MagicDraw offers possibility to merge models through application. To Merge locally saved projects please use command Tools > Project Merge. Basically, if you are sure that there are no conflicting changes (e.g. in same element property or same module), you can use 2-way merge - then changes from both projects will be accepted and merged into one project. If you have conflicting changes and have a common ancestor project both projects split from, it is advised to use 3-way merge and resolve conflicts manually.
To read more details about Model Merge, please look in MagicDraw User Manual (you can find it in your MagicDraw <install.root>/manuals or open using Help > MagicDraw User Manual command), under section Model Merge.
If you have more questions about merging your projects, please do not hesitate to contact us with additional details.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
No Magic Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:22
Full name: Ieva

Postby philip.nelson@gd-ms.com » Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 am

The merge plugin works well for locally saved projects, but what about the following scenario?
Company A owns a master model and resides on a Teamwork Server. However Company A relies on Company B to provide inputs into a package of the model.
Company B maintains their piece of the model on a Cameo Enterprise Data Warehouse server. It comes time to provide an update to Company A's model so Company B will download a local copy of the CEDW server project thus breaking from CEDW server configuration management.
Company A receives Company B's model. Considering this is an update to previously provided package from Company B,
How does Company A merge in the updates from the local project (Company B's update) into their master model residing on Teamwork Server? Merging on the server only allows for merging between versions....
philip.nelson@gd-ms.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Postby ieva.n » Mon May 16, 2016 7:47 am

Hello,

You can still use Tools > Project Merge functionality for that. Open the Teamwork Project you want to merge the project into, then invoke Tools > Project Merge from main menu.

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

Waiting for your response,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:22
Full name: Ieva

Postby cardwellj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 pm

We have a similar situation, and we've had some issues getting merge to work properly when merging files saved locally from Teamwork Cloud into a Teamwork Server file. The scenario is the same as the previous post, except that Company B initially uploaded the file they received (which did not include any versioning information) from company A to Teamwork Cloud, did work on the model, then saved a local copy of the model file and sent it back to Company A. Company A then tries to merge the file but receives an error stating "The projects that have no common ancestor cannot be compared." This error prevents the merge from occurring. How can this be resolved?
cardwellj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Full name: Joseph Cardwell

Postby philip.nelson@gd-ms.com » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:50 pm

What we ended up doing back then was suggested by Justinas Bisikirskas. Works sort of like this:
Company A and Company B have their own models in their own Team Work Cloud servers.
Company B wants to share with Company A.
Company B downloads their model (save as a local copy) thus stripping server information.
Company B sends their mdzip to Company A.

Company A uses the local project received from Company B
Do not upload Company B's file in to the Company A Team Work Server
Company A continues to use the project from Company B as a local project. Even though used as a "local" project, all users are able to see the contents depending on user access controls.
When an update is received from Company B, save it over the local copy and reload Company B's project in the use project window.

Bottom line, use externally received projects locally, keep them off the server.

Now if Company A wants to share with Company B.... they'll need to save the mdzip file as a local copy which appears to automatically import all used projects. Company A will need to re-export Company B's stuff. Then Company A can send their mdzip to Company B.

*This was done when we had 18.3. I don't know if changes to these mechanics have been made since then. (We use 18.5 SP1 now but haven't been in that situation since)

Good Luck
philip.nelson@gd-ms.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby cardwellj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

That's a very interesting approach, but I'm not sure if it will address our current needs. One problem I see is that when Company A re-exports Company B's portion of the model and sends it to them, Company B will have to remove their current Teamwork Cloud version (which is generally exchanged in it's entirety) and then re-commit the exported model from Company A. That wouldn't be that big of an issue except that connections and dependencies are created between the master file and the used file and Company B would have to wait until Company A sends them a new file before they can work in it, and would not be able to make any connections to Company B's used file while it is being worked on by Company B. The hope is that we can utilize teamwork cloud so that multiple users can be working in the model concurrently.

It is my understanding that Teamwork Cloud 19.0 seems to have a solution to this problem with their "Disconnected team collaboration"
cardwellj
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Full name: Joseph Cardwell

Postby tomas.vileiniskis@nomagic.com » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am

Whenever possible, we strongly suggest working in a single TWC installation to avoid complexity related to project sharing between different servers. RBAC permission control, hidden/public parts of the model should do the trick most of the time.

However, there are cases when that's not possible when working with contractors due to legal/security issues. For that we came up with something just recently.

In 19.0 release, it will be possible to share local projects between different TWC installations. We called that feature disconnected collaboration. Here’s how it will work:

1. User A exports project P from TWS/TWC server S1 or simply saves it locally (without ever using TWS/TWC) as .mdzip.
2. User B acquires the .mdzip of project P.
3. User B adds project P to TWC server S2 by choosing the .mdzip of project P from the file system (the usual way).
4. If the same project P already exists on the server S2 (only update is needed), user B gets an option to choose/create a branch to which he wants project P to get imported to as a new revision.
5. Later on, the updated/imported project P can be merged to the working trunk or any other branch of project P within TWC.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
tomas.vileiniskis@nomagic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:2

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration