Modeling connection variants

Discussions about systems engineering product SysML functionalities

Moderator: Moderators

Modeling connection variants

Postby christophe.waterplas@incose.org » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:41 pm

I would like to model the possible configuration for connecting elements of a system. In the example below I have a CPAP Device. In one configuration it it is connected to the Mask via a single Tube. In another configuration it is connected to Humidifier which is then connected to the Mask.

How do I model these two connection variants?

The diagram below is not correct, since this representation implies the CPAP Device is simultaneously connected via a single tube and the humidifier. Obviously it's either one or the other but not both. How to correctly represent this?

Configurations.png

Regards,
Christophe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
christophe.waterplas@incose.org
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:3

Re: Modeling connection variants

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 am

Hello,

Please take a look at our short video representing variants modeling with Instances:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcRjF9Lj5NQ

Also, I saw that you are modeling internal system structure with Block Definition diagram (BDD). For the internal connections between subsystems you should use Internal Block Diagram:
- https://docs.nomagic.com/display/SYSMLP ... ck+Diagram

Best regards,
Donatas Mazeika
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:18

Re: Modeling connection variants

Postby mustafa.aydin@tubitak.gov.tr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi Donatas,
I see that the short answer is generalization relation.
Additional question:
The video in the link above provides a method for a product which has different items in different configuration. What if I just want to analyze the variation of solutions that is proposed when the items are the same and I am just into different views of it? For now, I copy the IBD a couple of times and edit those IBD's to have different views. Sometimes I need to copy and rename entire block with its IBD and edit the IBD.
mustafa.aydin@tubitak.gov.tr
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Return to SysML