Import ConnectorEnd using CSV

General discussions about MagicDraw

Moderator: Moderators

Import ConnectorEnd using CSV

Postby taylor_sara@bah.com » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 am

I am working on importing a bunch of systems, internal system components, their ports, and the connections between the ports using the CSV import plugin. Ideally I would like to create an IBD displaying the connections between ports of each internal system component. First I imported blocks (systems and system components), then the ports owned by the blocks, and the part properties (system components) owned by the system blocks. I was using 'Connector' to import the connections between the ports, which was great until I started adding more systems and then I realized some of the system components (part properties) have the same name and are part properties of multiple systems. When importing using just 'Connector' this caused the connectors to connect between part properties of different systems instead of just connections between the part properties of one system. I'm thinking I need to use ConnectorEnd so I can specify the 'Part with Port' but I cant figure out how set that up in the CSV file. I tried using the qualified name, but had no success. How would I set up the CSV file to import a nestedconnectorend so I can specify the part with port?
taylor_sara@bah.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Import ConnectorEnd using CSV

Postby supatp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 am

Hello Taylor,

The part may have same name but basically it should be in different owner, right?
You may specify the qualified name of the part. Here's the sample.

This is the model I got. Blocks and System A has part with same name.
model.png

Then I specify CSV data like this.
data.png

And configure the map like this.
map1.png

map2.png

The connector is created between those parts.
result.png

Please let us know if you have different scenario. It'd be good if you can provide a project or screen shot.

Best Regards,
Supat P.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
supatp
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:12

Postby taylor_sara@bah.com » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Supat,

I'm trying to connect ports on part properties, something like this:
Block Image.png

with the containment looking like this:

Containment.png

I was setting up the excel sheet similar to your example, but with the ends being ports.

Excel.png

When the mapping is run, this doesn't establish the "part with port" that I need. This is the resulting specification window.

No part with port.png

It does however establish the part with port if the diagram is open with the part properties and ports displayed. When the diagram is opened and then I run the connector mapping, this is what the specification window looks like for the connector.

part with port.png

I'm trying to figure out a way to establish the part with port without having to open the diagram and display everything before running the connector mapping. I was assuming I could use 'ConnectorEnd' vs 'Connector' since one of the available properties is "part with port".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taylor_sara@bah.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby taylor_sara@bah.com » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm

I was wondering if there was any resolution to the issue I'm encountering?
taylor_sara@bah.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby sthudium@mac.com » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Yes, I would like to know the answer too...
sthudium@mac.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby sthudium@industechnology.com » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm

To follow up on what taylor_sara@bah.com noted:

Supat's example does work without the drawing being opened, provided that drawing has the ports displayed on the parts.

If the ports are not displayed, then that same mapping establishes connectors between the ports of the owner Block A1, not between the ports of the parts, Block A11, Block A12, Block A13. (Coincidentally, all four Blocks have ports of the same name (p1 and p2).) This same behavior occurs when there is no drawing, too.

Question 1: Why must the ports be "displayed" on a diagram. Does displaying the ports set some internal value that is needed for the connectors to be assigned to the part instead of the owner Block A1.

Question 2: Is there a workaround for the issue raised in Question 1.

Question 3: Can a CSV map be used to display ports? How?
sthudium@industechnology.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to MagicDraw