Layout > Space Evenly options don't work on some symbols

General discussions about MagicDraw

Moderator: Moderators

Layout > Space Evenly options don't work on some symbols

Postby kadabra » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm trying to clean up a SysML diagram, but the Space Evenly options (both horizontal and vertical) in the Layout menu of MagicDraw version 19.0 aren't working on some symbols. It works fine on Comments, but when I try to use it on Call Behavior Actions (CBAs) it either behaves strangely or does nothing at all.

I have six CBAs. I selected them all and clicked "Space Evenly Horizontally." Of the six, only one moved and it was placed in the center between the two outer CBAs. It made the spacing less even because it overlapped with two other CBAs while leaving a large gap where it used to be. I undid the change, deselected and reselected the CBAs, and tried again, but I got the same results. I then made some manual adjustments to the diagram and tried again. This time none of the CBAs moved. Both before and after moving the CBAs, I tried deleting all of the connections to the CBAs, but it had no effect on the behavior.

Is there something that might be keeping the CBAs from being moved by the Space Evenly functions? I can move them all manually just fine.
kadabra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Layout > Space Evenly options don't work on some symbols

Postby neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 am

Hello,

Thank you for your questions. In your described situation "Align" option "Space Even Horizontally/Vertically" works as it is designed. Please follow the instruction described below:
* Create several shapes on the diagram pane. Please make more space between the first and the last shape (horizontally or vertically) on the diagram. This distance is required for the shapes' layouting in the virtual rectangle where layout is calculated: please pay attention to the 1st image.
* Select all shapes and use "Space Even Horizontally/Vertically" command. The result should be as follows: the 2nd image.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Postby kadabra » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:01 am

I'm sorry if my original post wasn't clear, but I really don't think what I described is the feature working as designed. At first, I selected six items and only one moved even though all six were spaced unevenly. Then I tried the same thing again later (after making some other changes to the diagram), and none of the six selected items moved. To demonstrate this more clearly, I rearranged my diagram to resemble your example screenshots.

Before
Screenshot (3) redacted.png

After Layout > Space Evenly > Horizontally
Screenshot (4) redacted.png

What I expect is for it to look something like this. (I manually moved these since Space Evenly isn't working.)
Screenshot (5) redacted.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kadabra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Postby neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information. We understand that the feature is very important. We have registered it to our system and we are considering to improve it in our future tool. We appreciate your input to improve our products.

Best regards,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
neringa.montvydiene@nomagic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Return to MagicDraw