Generalization Subsets

Diagramming issues

Moderator: Moderators

Generalization Subsets

Postby torokrj » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:24 pm

I've created a block that has compositions underneath that can be 1..*. I then specialize this block and want to put in specific blocks for the composition. I can not find a way to do this in MagicDraw. Even if I redefine the relationship, it only lets me do a single block. In "A practical Guide to SysML", there are examples of creating "subsets" in figure 7.58. Is this possible in MagicDraw? I can't find a way to do it.

thank you
torokrj
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:1

Re: Generalization Subsets

Postby ieva.n » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:28 pm

Hello,

Could you please provide the screenshot of this figure?

Sincerely,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:28
Full name: Ieva

Postby torokrj » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Attached as a different figure number.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torokrj
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby ieva.n » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Hello,

If I understand correctly from the screenshot you have attached, you are trying to create a generalization tree. To do this, connect the second generalization not to the shape that already have connection, but to the already existing generalization. Or, if you already have both generalizations created, select the arrow end of one generalization and drag and drop it to other generalization (usually the target generalization is highlighted in blue). You can assign generalization set from context menu (right-click).

Please let us know if this solved your question.

Sincerely,
No Magic, Inc. Customer Support
ieva.n
No Magic
No Magic

Posts Rating:28
Full name: Ieva

Postby torokrj » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:52 pm

I found a way setting a relationship to be a subset. You can just add the relationship and set it to be subset. Validation does nothing with this though. I was hoping a subset needed to meet the requirements of the general block. In other words, the general block would have the composition requiring 2. Their would need to be 2 subsets created for validation then. However, I believe instead, it is just redefining the relationship.
torokrj
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:59 am

Hello,

please take a look at the sample:
Sample_subsets.mdzip

Here is modeled the same situation as is described in your slide. Subsetted property references the properties of which this property is constrained to be a subset.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Postby torokrj » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I had not tried this in a while, but had another need to subset and still have issues. I'm using 18.5 sp2.

I've attached your model with some changes. Also see image below. I fixed the redefine at the 4-camera System instead of the subset, and I added another subset to the AJM Enterprise System. I also then had to fix the subsets so that they would be correct on the AJM Enterprise. The problems I still have with this:

1) Validation does not have a problem with using 5 subsets even though it is subsetting a part property with multiplicity of 4.
2) The AJM Enterprise now has 5 subsetted part properties and an inherited part property with multiplicity of 4. This does not seem correct.

What I would like to see in MagicDraw/Cameo is a Subset button on the properties tab just like there is a redefine button. A user could set a number of properties as being subsets of the currently selected part property (as long as they are of the same base classifier. The inherited part property would then no longer be seen on the part (as it has been filled). Validation errors would occur if the multiplicities did not align (for example the generalized block changed to 3 cameras).

Or am I off base in how subset should work? It seems like if it works like I described above, this would be useful for product line engineering.

Thanks in advance for any response.
torokrj
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby torokrj » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 pm

I looked up some UML subset notation (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/381 ... ss-diagram) to get a better understanding. I think I understand now. Will be interested to see how this works with ports and other things.
torokrj
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Postby donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com » Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 am

Hello,

I would like to give you a clarification related to subsetting. It's not an issue to have more subsetting properties than there is defined in the multiplicity for the parent property. I could give you a very simple example:
Subsets.png

As is provided in the example, there could be as many properties that subsets employee, it's important that neither of subsetting property won't have a higher multiplicity than 5.

Best regards,
Donatas Mazeika
donatas.mazeika@nomagic.com
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Posts Rating:17

Postby MathewCox » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm

What would happen if the Multiplicity was greater than 5? Sorry I'm just learning

Mathew Cox
Piano Tuning Washington Dc
MathewCox
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Return to Diagramming