Moving fork/join symbols in activity diagrams

Diagramming issues

Moderator: Moderators

Moving fork/join symbols in activity diagrams

Postby blev » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I am administering Magic Draw for my team of engineers who are creating activity diagrams. One asked me if there is a way to have the objects associated with a fork or join move along with the fork/join when you move it elsewhere in a diagram? I tired to select the activty, control flow, and fork/join using the shift key and moving them all but it still did not do what I was trying for. Is there any way to "lock" a set of diagram objects so that they all move together if you have to rearrange the diagram?
:
blev
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Re: Moving fork/join symbols in activity diagrams

Postby Edita Mileviciene » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 am

Hello,

MagicDraw does not provide a way to "lock" selected set of symbols in diagram.
Usually multiple shapes selection in diagram and then moving them works fine. Are you sure you have selected all the shapes? You can select shapes in diagram using Shift key, as you did, or you can select shapes with mouse: press mouse button on the diagram, move mouse pointer to select required shapes in diagram, and then release mouse button.

Let us know if you are still not able to move selected shapes the way you need.

Best Regards,
Edita Mileviciene
Edita Mileviciene
Customer Support
Customer Support

Re: Moving fork/join symbols in activity diagrams

Postby matthew.j.wynhoff@boeing.com » Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 am

This was written 8 years ago, has this been updated? It is pretty annoying to delete a swimlane and have to go back and move the fork / joins. or upon resizing left or right the swimlanes move with actions but then you have to go back and figure out where to drag the merge / join nodes. Why not have them behave like the decision / merge nodes that do move correctly upon resizing?

The way it is now it is unnecessary button clicking of resizing swimlanes then having to lasso everything and move them in place. it is constant fixing.

I found that "in partition" property is populated for decision / merge nodes upon dropping on swimlane. And those behave correctly.

Under expert / all settings for the fork / join bars, "in partition" is there but not automatically populated, so I manually allocated it. But it still didn’t work when resizing swimlanes. Is there a way you can make them behave like the decision / merge nodes?
matthew.j.wynhoff@boeing.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Full name: Matt

Return to Diagramming