Using both SysML and UAF profile in the same model

Systems engineering related questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Using both SysML and UAF profile in the same model

Postby justin.j.blevins@saic.com » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am

Hello,
I am using Cameo EA 19.0 to produce models. In previous versions of Magic Draw, you had to select the specific profile you wanted to use for your model (for example, the SysML profile OR the UPDM profile but could not use both on the same project file). I was looking at the plug-in manager for Cameo EA 19.0 and noticed you can not choose the language/framework plug-in in the plug-in manager. Additionally, if I select a SysML model, I can still see the UAF/UPDM 2 profile switcher in the menus.

My question is, are BOTH of the SysML AND UAF profiles all loaded by default in any model I create in Cameo EA 19.0 since they are packaged with the tool as included features?

I would like to create both SysML models (to depict my system design), and UAF models (to capture some of the enterprise/business aspects related to the system(s) model(s)). I was expecting to have to achieve this by using model imports/references because of expected conflicts between the applied profiles that was present in previous versions of the tool, but it seems this is now alleviated since both profiles are applied (not available to include/exclude through the plug-in manager) in any new model file I create.

I just wanted to be sure my understanding of this was correct before I went the route of producing both UAF and SysML products in the same model file, and to make sure doing so would not create any issues for me down the road (such as conflicting types on elements of definition depending on what diagram type they are used in).

Thank you!
justin.j.blevins@saic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Using both SysML and UAF profile in the same model

Postby justin.j.blevins@saic.com » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Additionally, if it is not the case that both the UAF and SysML profiles are applied to any new project file in Cameo EA 19, if I were to start a new project from the UAF profile (using the UAF perspective in the wizard), can I revert the project file back to the SysML profile at some point? Or, am I stuck with the UAF profile from there on out?

For example:
Someone creates a new project file using UAF. That person enters a bunch of information. I come along, and realize we need SysML, not UAF. Can we just switch the project to SysML if it was started in UAF or do I need to transfer all of the data to a new model file that was started from the SysML profile (or systems engineering perspective in the tool)

Thanks!
justin.j.blevins@saic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Return to Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)