Permission groups

Discussions about Teamwork Cloud and Teamwork Server functionalities

Moderator: Moderators

Permission groups

Postby clinn@harris.com » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 am

Although my IS department is administering the teamwork server for me (so there may be something I am missing) discussions with them are leaving me to believe there is not a concept of "permission groups" which is common on other enterprise-strength servers. Here is my quandry:

While we are only piloting at this time, I am imagining that in the future, we could have several large teams (totally separate projects) each placing multiple models (which teamwork calls "projects" - perhaps a misnomer). Also assume that for reasons good and bad, they want to control peoples access to their models without bothering the (rather remote) IS department with the admin password.

On some other tools, it goes like this: the IS group is responsible for a) creation of users and b) creation of individual team categories (which I am thinking would map to MD "categories"). They then assign several "team admin" users that can do most things FOR THAT CATEGORY (such as assign users), but without giving those same admins the rights to mess with other categories. The team admins can create models (teamwork "projects"), etc, and then assign users to be able to access those projects - but no be able to assign users to projects not in their category.

It seems that teamwork is not really set up this way - a given user's assigned rights seem rather global - something that does not scale well in organizations with hundreds of engineers.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Chuck
clinn@harris.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: Permission groups

Postby jusbis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:39 am

Hello,

Thank you for opening such topic. We are always considering new features, ideas, suggestions to improve our products based on our customers needs.
Unfortunately, current MagicDraw Teamwork server has 2 levels of permissions: Global (System) and Model specific (Project). These permissions are assigned to the individual user, without ability to group them into a category or group. While Global permissions are valid for all projects, Project specific permissions valid for projects the user is assigned to.
Since Teamwork server is limited in user permissions, we are also developing a new server called Cameo Team Server which will provide a Role-based Access Control.
We will try to make your configuration possible in this server.

Thank you for your input and sorry for the inconveniences you are experiencing.
Best regards,

Justinas Bisikirskas
No Magic Inc.
jusbis
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:6

Postby sushil.mehetre@tcs.com » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:12 am

Hi,
This conversation was really helpful, but I would like to know a bit more on this. Please check my query as mentioned below:
In my project, I am having MagicDraw Teamwork server where we have data for different feature groups clubbed together.
If I give Project Specific access to new user, then he will be able to access all the data even though its not required for his work and its kind of critical which we don't want to share with all users (3rd Party user). So, is there any provision in MagicDraw 18.3, where I can limit the access to Folder level (Its actually one level down from Project level) so that, I can allow few user to access only selective folders out of the project and they will not be able to see/ access the other folder, models to which the access is not granted for them...
Thanks in advance for your support.
sushil.mehetre@tcs.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby felicia78863@gmail.com » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:02 am

UI diagram for Cameo Simulation Toolkit plugin.
Slope Game is a fun 3D running game with amazing controls and incredible speed.
felicia78863@gmail.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to Teamwork Cloud and Teamwork Server