signals are being removed before being consumed

Moderator: Moderators

signals are being removed before being consumed

Postby douglas.courtney@navy.mil » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm

I am getting the following warning when I run and multiple signals are coming in and the acept event is not active.

00:00:12,279 WARN: the signal radar acquire has not been consumed and removed from the Radar@58a4e572 pool

The is from the online documentation page. <https://docs.nomagic.com/display/MD185/Accept+Event+Action>

Event Action has no incoming edges, then the Action starts when the containing activity or Structured Node starts, whichever most immediately contains the Action. In addition, an Accept Event Action with no incoming edges remains enabled after it accepts an Event. It does not terminate after accepting an Event and outputting a value, but continues to wait for other Events. An Accept Event Action that has no incoming edges and is contained by a Structured Node is terminated when its container is terminated.

I intemperate this as the accept event should not remove any signal and process them as FIFO flow. Could anyone shed some light on what I am missing?
douglas.courtney@navy.mil
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:3

Re: signals are being removed before being consumed

Postby arnon_l » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Douglas,

In CST, the signal can be removed from the event pool if no one can consume it to avoid signals are in the pool forever.
This could also happened if the signal is sent while a state machine is not stable, such as when transitions from one state to another state.
This is a problem that we plan to fix in the near future, to wait until the state machine is stable before consuming a signal.

However for now, we can use deferred events in state machine diagram to protect signals to be removed from the pool, please see https://docs.nomagic.com/display/CSTD18 ... red+Events.
please ask if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Arnon
arnon_l
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:10

Postby douglas.courtney@navy.mil » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks for the clearification
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby douglas.courtney@navy.mil » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am

I am getting the same behavior in the activity diagram. On the online documentation it is showing that deferred events and not supported in activity diagrams. Is there another work around for activity diagrams? Or when is this going to be fixed?

Thanks for the help,
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby arnon_l » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Yes, we support "defer events" only in the state machine diagram based on deferrableTrigger: Trigger [0..*] of State in the UML specification.

If you found the message "the signal radar acquire has not been consumed and removed" while waiting in an activity diagram.
How do you make sure that the accept event action (of "radar") has already been activated before the signal is sent ?

It would be helpful for the investigation if you can send a simple model that cause this problem.

Kind regards,
arnon_l
Customer Support
Customer Support

Posts Rating:10

Postby kcsmith@raytheon.com » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:50 am

I'm getting similar results when I send a signal (SayHello) in a async message to a Class instance (Navigator System@187a39cf) that has a signal receptor. The behavior of the signal receptor is not being called and I see:

"WARN: the signal SayHello has not been consumed and removed from the Navigator System@187a39cf pool".

The Navigator System@187a39cf is not in state transition and is setting idle in its first state.

Are Signal Receptors supported?

Thanks Keith Smith
kcsmith@raytheon.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:2

Postby nicholas.brault@utas.utc.com » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:19 pm

I am also having this issues, has any one seemed to find a solution to this issues?
nicholas.brault@utas.utc.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:1

Postby kcsmith@raytheon.com » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi Nicholas,

There are actually two different issues in this thread. The first has to do with a signal being sent to an object before the object is ready to receive it. In the case of a transition on a state machine, deferred events can be used, but if its an Accept Event Action in an activity diagram that hasn't been made active yet, the signal will get removed.

The second is from my last post which is using Signal Receptors. Signal Receptors are not supported (I think its a fUML std issue).

One work around for both is to create a top level classifier behavior which has a fork to several Accept Event Actions that are always activated in parallel. When a signal is sent to the object they can be caught by these Accept Event Actions. You can then set structural features (like a enable to be used elsewhere) or start a behavior.

In general the fUML std uses a limited subset of UML, but there are work arounds or modeling design patterns which can usually do the equivalent.

I hope this helps,

Keith
kcsmith@raytheon.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:2

Postby nicholas.brault@utas.utc.com » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:44 am

The issues that I am having is when signals aren't consumed during an activity simulation that has been run from a state machine simulation. That may be different from what is described here.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby nicholas.brault@utas.utc.com » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 am

I determined that the error that I was getting was due to an issue in the state machine behavior; behaviors were coded as "entry" and not "do" behaviors. Violating the run to completion principle.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Next

Return to Cameo Simulation Toolkits