comparing two different model elements

General discussions about MagicDraw

Moderator: Moderators

comparing two different model elements

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm using MD v18.4.

Is there a way that I can compare/difference two different model elements?

For example, I have a block and a subtype of that block. I would like to run a report that shows me the differences between the supertype and subtype.

Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:4

Re: comparing two different model elements

Postby tomas.vileiniskis@nomagic.com » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:49 am

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

No, at least not directly. As a workaround, you could try building a custom MS Word report listing Block properties, generate such report for both subtype and supertype Blocks and then use MS Word document comparison functionality.

Do you have any other particular use cases despite subtype/supertype elements where such compare/difference mechanism would be useful?

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
tomas.vileiniskis@nomagic.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:2

Re: comparing two different model elements

Postby cmassa@draper.com » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 am

I think the ability to compare two model elements (of the same type) will have lots of practical applications and I encourage you to introduce the feature.

Another use case would be when you are performing tradespace exploration and you develop multiple options for a system architecture. If there is no way to automatically compare elements, you have to do the comparison manually by inspection.

Or perhaps two different organizations are modeling the same thing in different models, and they want to see how their designs compare to one another.

Thanks.
cmassa@draper.com
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Posts Rating:4

Return to MagicDraw