using magicdraw with DCSV (git)

General discussions about teamwork

Moderator: Moderators

using magicdraw with DCSV (git)

Postby m.reichert@dzbw.de » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:05 am

Hi
We are using Magicdraw (V 15.5) in our projects for many years with SVN (model locked by the developer who is working with). Now or company switched to git and the usual git-workflow (to work on local branches and reintegrate them to local master after finishing the task and push it to remote master) fit's not very well because the mdzip File is not mergeable. Is there a common solution when using git and Magicdraw together, which enables us to have the full benifit of git version control system like local branching/reintegrating with multiple developers working on the same model at the same time?

Thx and best regards
Markus
m.reichert@dzbw.de
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posts Rating:0

Re: using magicdraw with DCSV (git)

Postby vygged » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 am

Dear Marcus,

Thank you for your question. MagicDraw still allows for saving projects in MDXML format, just the MDZIP is now the default.
Although, the structure of the MDXML file is different from the older versions. However this should not be an issue in your case,
as you just need it to be an XML file, that is a type that you could merge.

Kind regards,
No Magic Customer Support
Vygantas Gedgaudas
Software Developer
NoMagic Inc.
vygged
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby m.reichert@dzbw.de » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:30 am

Dear Vygantas,

Thank you for your fast reply. We'll give it a try.

However, we also export the MagicDraw model to an UML2 (v1.x) compatible XMI file to generate java source code by AndroMDA at maven build time.
Wouldn't we get a big mess, when git tries to merge the MDXML and the uml2 files?
It would not be a very handy solution if we would have to merge the files manually each time more than one developer has worked at the model. I guess the file formats and the uml2 file generation are not optimized for human editing and merging :-)

Best regards
Markus
m.reichert@dzbw.de
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby vygged » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 am

Hello Markus,

I am not sure that I follow the part where you wrote that you would need to merge between the two different formats. Why would you need that?
From what you wrote, it seems to me that the MDXML->UML2 will be only one-way conversion during the build to produce the source code. The evolution
of the model will be only in the MDXML format and that is the only format that will be stored on GIT and, thus, need merging. Please correct me if I
misunderstand the use case.

Kind regards,
Vygantas Gedgaudas
Software Developer
NoMagic Inc.
vygged
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby m.reichert@dzbw.de » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:12 am

Hi,
We let generate the uml2 files by Magicdraw when we save the model. Both kind of files are under version control and checked in into the repository:
- the mdzip file for further working at the model
- and the uml2 files as well as basis of the androMDA maven build task

Best regards
Markus
m.reichert@dzbw.de
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby vygged » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:53 am

Markus,

Thank you for clarification, now I got it right. I cannot see any problems with GIT merge if you will use not MDZIP, but MDXML instead, together with uml2 files for androMDA.
Which means that all of your files in the GIT repository will be XML files. Besides, here is how you can save a project in MDXML format: select File->Save Project As... and change the
format to *mdxml in the Save dialog.

Kind regards,
Vygantas Gedgaudas
Software Developer
NoMagic Inc.
vygged
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby m.reichert@dzbw.de » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 am

Hello
We tried to work with the mdxml-File:

The merge of the mdxml-File seems impossible in our case. It's not merged automatically and when you want to merge it manually you get a "can't show diff".
(Even in Gitlab you get a "This diff could not be displayed because it is too large" when you look at a the changes made in mdxml by one commit).

Is there another way team memerbers work togeter at a model when the using git? Is there e.g. a best practice how to merge model changes made by two team members at the same time at their local git repository. I guess we are not the only team which is using magicdraw in combination with git.

Best regards
Markus
m.reichert@dzbw.de
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby vygged » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:00 am

Hello,

The error with too large diff is probably some kind of limitation either Gitlab, or Git itself. Please refer to the documentation and support of these tools to check if there is a solution or a workaround.

Our recommendation for your use case would be to use our product for collaborative work called Teamwork Server, or the new generation server called Teamwork Cloud.

Kind regards,
Vygantas Gedgaudas
Software Developer
NoMagic Inc.
vygged
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to Merging, branching, modules, team collaboration